Friday, December 14, 2007

A Smattering of this...and a dash of that...

Here are some of the soap dispensers I made yesterday...
I keep extra gifts like these on hand, because you never know when you'll need them! You simply peel the label of a "Softsoap" dispenser off and use rubons in its place. I added a small red ribbon and tag, with a little metal snowflake and brad--and done! If you happen to be one of the lucky gals to order the December WIP Project kit, the snowflakes were included in that kit! I know I posted this idea back in October, but it was worth repeating to me. (And yes, I do them for most holidays in my house.)

And for Rita, the gal who asked about my carolers, here is the link. The ones I collect represent the children of the world. I have some who look like paupers, and some rich bratty ones. She makes all sorts of neat things, and most everyone in my family collects them. My mom's collection resembles our family. They make me happy.

And here are some more recipes I wanted to share. The first is from my friend Julie Krous. She and her husband Bruce both went to Ohio State, and she makes these every year. They are totally divine--especially if you love peanut butter!

The second recipe is from the one and only Becky Higgins. CK posted a favorite recipes book to retailers a few years back, and this recipe of hers was in there. I love them, especially because they're no bake!

And last but surely not least, the brownie recipe is from my good friend, Val. These are killer--no kidding. I'm hungry thinking about them right now...
Ohio State Buckeyes

1 lb. butter 2 lbs. peanut butter

3 lb. confectioner sugar 1 lb. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 bar paraffin 1 box toothpicks

Soften butter to room temp. Mix butter, peanut butter, sugar (mix well). Roll 1” balls and put on waxed paper-lined cookie sheets. Put a toothpick in the middle of each ball; freeze overnight. Melt chocolate in double boiler, cut paraffin and add to chocolate. Dip balls into melted chocolate to look like a Buckeye. Chill or freeze. Take toothpicks out and enjoy! Makes approx. 200 Buckeyes.



Chocolate Oat Squares

1 cup + 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine—softened & divided

2 cups packed brown sugar

2 eggs

4 tsp. vanilla extract, divided

3 cups quick cooking oats

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk

2 cups (12 oz) chocolate chips

1 cup chopped walnuts

In a mixing bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and 2 tsp. vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, 1 tsp. salt and baking soda; stir into creamed mixture. Press 2/3 of oat mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan. In a saucepan, combine milk, chocolate chips and remaining butter and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts and remaining vanilla. Spread over the crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Cut into squares and serve.

Val's Mint Brownies

Layer #1

1 C Sugar

1/2 C Butter (or margarine)

4 Eggs

1 C Flour

1/2 t Salt

1 16oz. Can Hershey's Syrup

1 t. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together. Spread in greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool completely.

Layer #2

2 C Confectioners Sugar

1/2 C. Soft Butter

3/4 t. Mint (Peppermint) Extract

2 T. Water

2 Drops Green Food Coloring

Mix together and spread on top of cooled brownie layer.

Layer #3:

6 T. Butter

6 oz. Chocolate Chips (1 C)

Melt Together. Spread lightly or drizzle over mint layer. Cool, then cut into small squares. Freezes well! Enjoy!

Happy Baking!

9 comments:

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

What a cute idea for those soap dispensers!! You're making me drool with those recipes and pictures. My mother-in-law makes buckeyes every year and they are sooo good. And mint brownies?! Those look like pure heaven!!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

You amaze me girl, just amaze me! Now I'm off to pick up some soap!

Vanessa, Florida, USA said...

Very cool soap dispensers... and those recipes... YUM!!

Rita said...

Hi Trish! Thanks for the link to the carolers. Most of them are sold out, but I think I'll try to order some next year. I didn't know what Buckeye's were until my SIL made them one year, now they are a staple at Christmas.

Nura Keif said...

Drool!!Looks so delicious!!:-D

Janelle said...

with the soap bottles-- did you have left over adhesive from the labels? if so any ideas on how to get it off?

Trish said...

Janelle--
I use goo-gone to get anything that won't come off the label. Then, I wash the bottle well because any remaining goo-gone left on the bottle would probably prohibit the rubons from sticking. KWIM? Good luck!

Molly said...

I love that soap dispenser idea! :D I will have to do that! Going to pick up some soap today for sure! :-)

Anonymous said...

What exactly is paraffin? I would love to make the peanut butter balls but have to confess that I have no idea what that ingredient is...! Thanks!! Lisa K