Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Hope...

{Buck up, people. This is going to be a long post.}

On occasion, I get asked if I have a favorite album. I usually respond by saying that it depends on the day. But hands down, my favorite album to make for someone else and give as a gift is the "I Hope..." album.

I can't tell you how many I've made. If I had to guess--somewhere between 20 and 30. When you see the photos below and the patterned paper that was used, you'll see for yourself. I started out doing them for nieces when they became teenagers--their 13th birthday. Now, it is my standard First Communion or Confirmation gift. No two have ever been alike, and they generally suit the person intended. I made the one below as a class sample a couple years ago. I saved it because it will be my son's when he makes his First Communion, and all I have to do is add pictures.

The concept came from way back when Rebecca Sower came out with her first book and she was it. She did a mini with the same topic, and anything she did, I did. So the concept grew. I took a few of her "I Hope..." statements and made them my own. I added and deleted and modified them all, and have quite a few in my repertoire now. You'll get the idea.

I almost always make these 8x8 albums. There is a dedication page. And after that, on every left page, an I Hope statement. On every opposing right page, a photograph(s) of the person. It is always better to make the photos snapshots, and random--over a span of time. You'll want to grab photos that capture the person's personality for this one. Next, come up with a color scheme, lots of patterned paper and a handful of embellies. Be sure you have either a cutting system or several coordinating alphas too--so you can spell out specific words.

So here goes...the dedication page (fill in the blank area with the person's name, of course.)

Now, every "I Hope" page begins with just that. Then, select a word in the statement to highlight and make it bigger than the others using stickers, die cuts, etc.

This is what the right side with the photo looks like...




And of course, I always take the last page and leave them on this note...
Okay, so that was more of a masculine version, using mostly KI Memories papers. Here is the same version using red, orange and yellows, using the exact same concept (4 layouts in one photograph).
I sometimes decorate the covers of the albums, and for the above album for my niece Taylor, here is what her cover looked like...
Now, I know many of you out there are celebrating First Communions and Confirmations here soon with friends and family members. Give this a shot. Come up with 10 "I Hope" statements and use what you have--and you'll be done in no time at all!! I promise you, once you make one you'll be hooked...

Now, as some of you know, my own daughter is getting ready to celebrate her First Communion soon. I had intentions of making one of these for her and I never got around to it. And then it hit me.

Why not use the 7Gypsies Photo Carousel? It doesn't have to be in the confines of a book.

So I uploaded about 200 photos of her to Costco and picked them up today. I will simply adhere the photos back to back, and place them on the photo carousel. And the "divider" sections will be 4x6 cards with "I Hope" statements on them. And to kick things up even more, I printed out 4x6 cards that all say "I Hope" on them and "Love," on the bottoms, and they will be available for people to write their own I Hope statements for her during her party. The carousel will be given to her as a gift, and it will be on display in her room after the party to hopefully inspire her whenever she feels the need.

I have to tell you, when the thought hit me, I couldn't sleep. I was so wired about the whole thing, I got up and started right in. And I've been surfing that wave for 3 days. I LOVE how it is turning out. I promise I'll post finished pics next week after the party...

And I know my daughter will be over the moon excited when she sees this. She's just as sappy as her dear ole mom...I can't wait til she sees it!

My apologies to Jen, Val and Tina who are sick of hearing about it already and want me to shut up about it, I'm sure...LOL!

Thanks for sticking around long enough to read this one, and have a super day all! :)

19 comments:

laura vegas said...

i totally remember that album rebecca sower did ... i think i still have the article somewhere. love your take on it! love the colors and design of the first one the most! and sounds like a cute idea using the 7 gypsies thing (sorry, forgot what it's called. lol!). can't wait to see it!

Heather said...

what a great idea!!! I am totally going to keep this one in mind. It would make such a great gift. I love the Photo holder idea as well!!!

Jana Eubank said...

What an AWESOME idea! And something that is so meaningful, I LOVE THAT!

Molly said...

You so totally rock, girl! Holy wow!!! I love that idea and maybe I can use it for birthday presents. hmmm...loving loving loving it!

Jen Forbus said...

This is one of the BEST albums you ever taught me, Trish! I made one for Payton and Ryan, but I haven't given them yet because I'm trying to get pictures over a longer time span...especially for Ryan! :) You always make me look sooooo good in front of my family! LOL

Valerie said...

These are beautiful. And you just keep on talking, girl. You know you inspire me.

Terri Paulson-Sasaki said...

What a great idea. My son is graduating from high school, it would be a great gift for him and some of his buddies.

borcherding said...

AMAZING Trish! I can't wait to see pictures! I simply LOVE your 'I HOPE' album and I still have (and will NEVER part with) Rebecca's idea book..it's WONDERFUL!! What a cherished gift this will be!!

Damaris said...

Love the idea. What a great gift. I absolutely love the carousel project...that is sssooo being lifted girl! What an amazing gift for one lucky person.
HUGS

emelyn said...

Trish! YOu never cease to amaze me! I am sooo doing this! I knew there was a reason I had so many mini albums sitting around!

I hope you don't mind, but I"ll be using your "hopes" for now!! You are so creative!!

Rita said...

I love this album! I will be making one for Colin when he get confirmed.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with us!
Sandy Castle

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, I love the albums.

Sharon

Lisa and Penny said...

It's true...you are one inspiring lady! I am in the process of making one for my neighbor who is so awesome and always helping me with my kiddos! We are going to her confirmation in May! What an awesome gift for her to treasure! Thanks! Lisa K

Ady said...

OMG, I love that idea. I will definitely lift it when I have enough time to dedicate to it. I can't wait to meet you IRL.

Susan said...

Totally LOVE the idea. Think I will make something like this myself. thanks for sharing@@

The Momster said...

Wow! What an inspiration! My daughter is 'graduating' from elementary school and heading off to middle school next year. This would make an awesome gift for her! I'd better get busy :)

Thank you so much for being a constant inspiration!

Janet said...

Oh, this is such a beautiful concept! I love how you've put this album together and tailored it to each person. What a treasure to receive such a gift. Thx for sharing!

emily anderson said...

the "i hope" album is a fabulous idea! and i really like the idea of what you are doing for your daughter...she will love it!
great work :)